Thursday, March 20, 2014

Cake, Cats, and Camping


I am now 21! I a can legally drink in the United States. Which really isn't a big deal here. I am looking forward to the gluten free beer a certain father of mine is making me though. Here, for my birthday, I celebrated with my friends on the actual day. I also celebrated by getting my student visa. I can now legally stay in Chile for up to a year! On the Saturday after my birthday, my family and I had a cookout. We grilled out and my family got me a Raspberry ice cream cake that had meringue inside. It was quite tasty. My host family gave me some amazing gifts, including several handmade items. They made sure it was a great birthday for which I am extremely grateful.
As amazing as my birthday was, it also was a low point. We had to put our cat to sleep :( He had liver failure. (I think, I'm not entirely sure of the Spanish word for liver). He was the cat that had been sleeping with me ever night, so it was difficult for me.  However, my entire family stuck together, and supported each other through the day.
On a little happier note, my class schedule is pretty much set. I have one class that I think will quickly become my favorite. It's called "Body and Sexuality in the Ancient World." The profe seems really knowledgeable and the class talks a lot about cultures. It's a nice chill class that seems super interesting.
This weekend I am going camping with some friends. We are going to lake icalma and possibly sleeping out the open. Or in the cabin of a friend of one of our professors. Either way, I'm sure its going to be a great adventure and I'm pretty excited. It's a bit further south than I live now. We are hoping on the bus tonight at 8:30 pm and getting to Temuco at about 7 am. After that we have another short bus ride to our camp site. I borrowed a backpack, sleeping bag, and mat from the CIEE office, so I am pretty well equipped for this adventure. I simultaneously feel that I am bringing way to much, and also fear that I am forgetting something essential. Like a towel. Or the first aid kit.  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful birthday! Your host family sounds so generous & lovely- what a wonderful connection that you have made with them. Also, towels are a totally optional item in life (yesterday's clothes work just fine for drying your body!)

    ReplyDelete